The AL6000 Breathalyzer has now been available in the UK for almost 10 years. As it is one of the most popular digital breathalyzers in the UK we decided to review it first.
What we like about the AL6000
- Great design, smart professional looking digital breathalyzer
- Ergonomic design, fits in your hand comfortably
- Reliable & robust in every day use
- Comes supplied with batteries
- Suppled with 5 professional breathalyzer mouthpieces which can be re-used, if it has just been purchased for personal use.
- The latest models of Al6000 give the buyer the ability to change the sensor every 300 tests, fitting a new pre-calibrated sensor, set by the manufacturer for accuracy.
- Easy to change sensor-simply pull out old one, push new one in (no screwdriver or technical expertise required)
- The AL6000 breathalyzer does not have to be sent away for service.
- Replacement batteries easily available-takes 2AA batteries
- Replacement sensors for AL6000 are inexpensive & widely available for around £17-20 pounds
- The Al6000 breathalyzer is able to give accuracy of +/_ 0.1%BAC at 1.0%BAC, this means that a test result of 0.10%BAC should not vary by more than 0.09% to 1.1%BAC in a close series of sucessive tests.
- The semiconductor sensor is tough and resists clogging and corrosion as well as any of the other breathalyzers of a similar price.
- With careful use you should expect around 300 accurate tests from each sensor, but this is dependent on careful useage and storage and to a degree, the levels of alcohol measured.
- Replacement mouthpieces widely available and inexpensive.
- The AL6000 breathalyzer offers excellent value for money at around £58
Things to take into consideration if purchasing an AL6000 breathalyzer or a replacement sensor
- Smokers should expect shorter sensor life as tar and CO do not mix well with alcohol sensors.
- Be sure to ventilate the breathalyzer well after use as condensation can cause the sensor to rust and fail if it is packed away immediately after use.
- When purchasing al Al6000 breathalyzer it is important to buy a unit with the correct display option, as this cannot be changed later and is fixed at manufacture. Modern models have the decimel place spray painted on the front screen of the LCD display which is read if the display is to be read in %BAC (percentage blood alcohol concentration)
- At this point it may be helpful to point out that the majority of modern breathalyzers display blood alcohol level readings, confusing when you are blowing breath through them, but as nearly all legislation is now quoted in BAC, the units are set to do the conversion calculation for you. Ignor the decimel place and just read from the first positive digit and the breathalyzer displays BAC in mg/100ml, so for example you can interpret the same result as .080%BAC and/or 080=80mg/100ml BAC
- The AL6000 breathalyzer has 2 modes of testing Nor = normal and Fst = fast the fast mode is what it says and the breath sample and accuracy are reduced for a fast test.
- In reality most users of AL6000 breathalyzers nearly always test in normal mode as this significantly increases the accuracy of the result.
- Normal mode takes a 5 second deep breath lung sample and will indicate with a Flo display if the breath sample is not maintained for the full sample time.
- When buying a new sensor for an Al6000 be sure to match the colour circuit board to the one your breathalyzer has as they are not interchangeable. Most have red circuit boards, but older models are green and they cannot be mixed. If the wrong sensor is inserted the breathalyser will not work and the sensor is not usable once it has been connected to the breathalyser.
- New sensors will have a test count of 6-12 tests needed for their calibration.
- One last point the unit used to have NF certification, but this was not renewed by the manufacturer Sentech and had lapsed. Now with the new French breathalyser law the manufacturer has re-applied for the French NF certificate which should be issued for the breathalyser before the July 2012 French law starts, so this breathalyzer is a good bet for anyone looking for a digital breathalyzer to take to Europe.
Our Opinion : All in all the AL6000 breathalyser offers excellent value for money and is a great buy for anyone considering buying a digital breathalyzer.